View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mitsy

Detachment is beautiful and it's a VERY useful step. In fact, it's one that we often have to go back to from time to time. I remember one of the last conversations Robert & I had when it was painfully obvious that he was back to his old boozing ways. He was drunk and there was no point in trying to reason with him. I remember sleeping very well that night & knowing that I had done absolutely ALL I could possibly do in this situation. I also knew that I had no plans to talk to him again. I have not answered any calls since that time except for the time he called me on a Sun. morning (was my birthday--not that he remembered) and I was caught off guard. I told him that I didn't need to be talking to him & that was the last time we spoke. Detachment worked for both of these times. It also worked when I chose to not return his last phone message.

Detachment works along with anger and resignation to the situation. It's a three-part deal with me. I have to accept the fact that he chooses to drink over being sober and having healthy relationships with people. I'm not participating in his sick, screwed up life anymore. It is very freeing and I wish I could have learned that earlier on.

But, in the end, there are only really two choices we have. To stick it out, using detachment with the hope that they will see the light & if it happens, that is wonderful. If they choose to not get help, the detachment helps us to move on with our lives and to fully see that a healthy relationship is not what we're getting if we continue to stay in their dysfunctional world. If helps to blot out the heart-tugging emotions that we used to have for them. We cannot afford to continue to love someone who puts themselves & others through this kind of hell. I know not all alcoholics are abusive but it seems like the biggest majority of them are. I used to think that my situation was unique and I found out after going to Al-Anon that it was not. I felt more normal then. It keeps me sane and keeps me centered. The program does work and I'm proof that it makes a difference because I never dreamed I'd have the strength to walk away & live my life on my own terms. If it helped me, I know that it can help anyone.