View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
seehseef

Originally Posted by scotslad View Post
...is it possible to become a social drinker again after being an Alcoholic or is it T-Total all the way for the rest of my life.
Great posts here about returning to social drinking and the traps and pitfalls we encounter when it's attempted.

If I want to control it, I can't enjoy it. If I want to enjoy it, I can't control it.
Mrak, I haven't heard that statement before, but that sums it all up for me right there. I also agree with Tazman53's statement that it's far more difficult to try to control your drinking than it is just to avoid it altogether.

I'm five weeks sober now and my life is far better without the added baggage that comes with social drinking. I've been to a few social gatherings in that time where the booze was flowing and I was able to have a great time while watching several other people (for a change) drink far too much and make fools of themselves. On the way home from one of these gatherings last week, I was pulled over for speeding. While I was annoyed (and definitely guilty), I was also incredibly relieved that I didn't have to worry about gathering my wits to appear sober, or popping Altoids to mask my breath, etc.

I've bookmarked this thread, as it contains an awful lot of counter-arguments to social drinking excuses I've made to myself in the past. Thanks again to all for your helpful advice.