Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Wolf00

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
It's not just the physical stuff that lays to waste, right, Wolf and FS? Just a little add to the conversation for our newcomers. How many times have we said "That's it, that's my last ____ (fill in the blank—line, pill, hit, toke, bottle, etc.)" at three o'clock in the morning? Then, after a few times, we feel the hopelessness in our heads and we begin to believe there is no cause to stop. Our brains become damaged to the point we lose the capability of clear thought. We become sneaks...hiding our addiction in nooks and crannies where we can secretly **** our life away. And it's ok, we don't mind because it's not really hurting us...until 3 a.m. comes again.

I can sit here all night and tell hundreds of stories of how drinking (my terminal vice) has screwed up so much in my life. How I know it is killing me. How it affects my relationship with my wife and kids. To say all this and it would take only a second to get in the truck and head down to the store and get a 12'er and polish off 8 or 9 of them in a couple of hours. That, my new friends, is insanity and that is the residue of addiction. If it wasn't for the ability to express these things, which brings them to the surface, into consciousness, I would be doing just that.

"I'll get by with a little help from my friends..."
Till the last drop.