View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Mrak
Is it hot here or am I crazy?

My health and psychological state worsened after I quit drinking. My mind would race, I couldn't eat, when I did eat I usually returned the food through the same opening. I was living a 24 hour panic attack. At 21 days sober I experienced delirium tremens for two days - sweating, shaking, freezing, explosive pooping, throwing up bile then blood all in the same commode. Blood pressure skyrocketed. After about 30 days sober I started feeling better. At 60 days sober I ran into an old friend that knew me from a health club. He asked me, "So when is the benefit concert for you?" I knew what he meant. I had gone from 145lbs down to 120lbs.

The very next day I started back at the gym and made sure that I was eating properly and getting enough sleep. It took me about one year of sobriety before my mind began functioning clearly. Panic attacks and shakes lasted about six months. I am back to 140lbs. Have never been healthier or stronger in my life. Sober for 3 years, 11 months, 11 days, 6 hours, 17 minutes (but who's counting).

Not only must I pay attention to maintaining my sobriety, I pay very close attention to my physical and mental health. Eat well, exercise and read books.

I wouldn't be as healthy as I am if I wasn't sober.