View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
a fallen man

a family that drinks together....

i would bet that most folks do believe that alcoholism runs in families. i know it does in mine.

my mother is not one but her father died from it. my father is and his father died from it.

my younger brother and sister both fight the poison.

today was my sister's birthday. i called her to wish her a happy birthday (she doesn't live here) and told her i had not drank in 15 days. she told me she was 17 days clean. neither of us knew the other was even thinking of quitting. kudos to her.

i spoke to my younger brother today and he is trying to make today, day number 1. he has quit in the past using a.a. and stayed off it for a long time. he's in pretty rough shape right now and knows he needs to quit.

he's pretty much like i was....doesn't miss work due to it but just goes in feeling awful and toughing it out. i don't pray very much but i'll be praying for him tonight as my day 1 was two short weeks ago.

having quit before he knows what is in store for him. i told him about this site and he said he had it bookmarked. he also talked to his a.a. sponsor today so he is reaching out.

just thought i'd share this. i know it's kind of rambling. i just found it cool that we did not coordinate this but it worked out we're all quitting at the same time.