View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Perhaps you should Miami, but I will be honest with you, I wanted to know that things did get better and what I needed to do to get better. Yes there were others in the newcomers meetings I went to that shared their struggles staying sober, but more importantly there were folks there who shared that they to had struggled and they shared how they got better.

Several of my sponsee's had to go through manadantory group counseling sessions, they said that they hated them because all they heard about was how hard it was to not drink and all of the problems associated with and due to drinking, they did not hear a single good thing about staying sober except one thing. If they blew 0.0 on thier BAC test every meeting they got thier drivers license back.

They did not hear a single thing about the rewards of sobriety or how to stay sober. In early sobriety I spoke to my sponsor and others folks in AA one on one on my struggles staying sober and was given great suggestions that helped me to stay sober.

I have been told at meetings not to share about difficulties staying clean and the problems I face in recovery.
Man AA must be 180 degrees different then in my area, newcomers are asked for a topic they are having trouble with at the beginning of a newcomers meeting and then most of the shares after that are how different people have dealt with that successfully.

We try and spend more time on "The Solution" to our alcoholism in meetings by sharing how we have worked through different problems in our lifes.