View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Jam, you have gooten some great suggestions so far. That asking for help for me was a very hard thing to do. I know that for many years I tried quitting drinking my way and alone and the anxiety and anger always drove me back to drinking.

Alcohol finally forced me to ask for help, I became physically as well as spiritually and mentally adicted to it, the last 5 years I drank even though the majority of the time I really did not want to. I had to drink just to function every day.

When I was at my bottom I called an alcohol and drug hotline, they set me up to see a doctor, I told the doctor the whole truth about my drinking and asked him for help, he told me flat out that the only way I would be able to even begin to stay sober was to be medically detoxed.

In detox they told me to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and to get a sponsor! Well I darn sure was not excited about that, but I was sick and tired enough of being a drunk to where I did just that.

Alcohol made me go to AA and to swallow my pride before it killed me and to ask for help! The very first meeting I went to I asked a guy to be my sponsor, not because I wanted to ask him or any one else, I asked because I did not want to be a drunk any more!

I still experienced the anxiety and the anger, but I did not expereince it alone, I had my sponsor and other people in AA that shared with me how they dealt with all of it in thier early sobriety.

For me staying sober was like buying a car. If I want a car I have to go to a dealership or to some one selling a car and ASK for a car, if I just stand there and say nothing, I will never get a car.

AA is one alcoholic helping another alcoholic stay sober. AA does not chase down drunks and help them. Drunks who want to get and stay sober chase down AA and ask for help.

You came here, you asked for help and you got a ton of people willing to help you out and all you did was ask! Why not go back to AA and try the same thing?