Old 09-21-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Alera View Post
You aren't kidding, that is in awesome shape. I went on quite a few day field trips in my geology lab and there was one area with many ammonoids in a cliff, but I don't think I saw one in such good shape before.
I actually found a couple in better shape but I couldn't keep them. Darn research!! Haha. It's ok. I'll have more opportunities to collect. Besides, I know where the outcrop is so I can always return (If I ever have a spare weekend... and don't mind risking the trespassing charges. Meh. Never bothered me before).

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
Checking in with the secular fam.
Phal, I haven't heard from you in a while. How are you, buddy? I was starting to wonder about you a bit.

Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
A desire to fit in with the wrong crowd, peer pressure, curiosity, a feeling that you were strong enough to not get addicted? could be thousands of reasons, but the thing is now it may not be a question of being intelligent at all. I don't think anyone here is particularly stupid, but we all have or had the same sort of problem. What we do now is never give up fighting the urge.
And that can be a lot of work.
I don't think anyone here is dumb. We're all reasonably intelligent. I can understand my drinking a little bit, I guess. I just started drinking with friends and I guess by the time I realized it was a problem it was too late. But the drugs? WTF? I wanted to forget a few things, sure, but I knew I shouldn't ever touch the drugs. I did it anyway. Escapism, falling for the wrong guy maybe... lots of reasons.

Meanwhile, I've found a weird love of watching drunk people. I spent Saturday night watching some friends get drunk on Texas beer (which has twice the alcohol content of the beer we can get here in Oklahoma). And my roommate brought some back after going home this weekend. And I just sat there and wondered at it all. It's ridiculous. Now I know how dumb I acted when I was drunk. Geez. I was an idiot.