View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
keithj

Howdy miamifella. If you have a sponsor that tells you to work the first three steps on your own, then come see him for a 4th Step, find another sponsor.

There is a great guy in my local area that does this. He's found a solution through the steps, he's had the required spiritual awakening, he's got a great message, he's been sober 20 some years, and I like him a lot. But, this approach is lazy and does a dis-service to someone new to the steps.

Over and over, people that lack a solid foundation in the first 3 steps struggle with writing a thorough inventory in Step 4. They lack the needed power to see things honestly.

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
Step 2 says "We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity." There is nothing about "willing" in it. It is not a decision. It is something you have or you don't. That is why it is one of the steps you cannot work---it is given to you.
Two views going on here. One, you posted about there being no decision for Step 2, and one McGowdog posted from the Big Book, which is all about a decision. Some of us call that the 2nd Step Proposition.
"When we became alcoholics, crushed by a self-imposed crises we could not postpone or evade, we had to fearlessly face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is or He isn't. What was our choice to be?"

Miamifella, that is all about a decision. A choice. Am I willing to believe? Do I now believe that their is a better path for me? Am I willng to follow it? That's all you have to know about God for now.

It really shows the difference between reading the Steps off the wall and getting into the book with a knowledgable sponsor.

I came into AA as a devout atheist. I knew that others believed in a higher power, but I did not. I had no need for it until I was crushed by a self-imposed crisis. I sponsor guys the same way I was sponsored. We spend some time reading the Dr.'s Opinion and the first 3 chapters and focus on the hopeless nature of the malady. It's only when the newcomer is firmly convinced about the rock and hard place of the physical craving and mental obsession, that we have need for Step 2.

My suggestion to you is to find a sponsor willing to sit down with you and a book and spend the necessary time. It doesn't take that long. Look for someone that talks about a spiritual solution and knows what Step 1 really means.

Now it's a decision again. Are you willing to find that person, even if you don't like them all that much? Are you willing to go to that length?

I had to go to that length. I had to find a sponsor who I didn't like much, but he had an answer. I didn't want anything to do with a higher power, but I became willing to believe in the possibility because I was hopelessly screwed. I couldn't hide behind my existing beliefs or bad sponsorship. I found a guy with a Big Book in his hand and he showed me how he got out from under.