View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
miamifella

Where are the sponsors?

It does not seem to matter what the fellowship or if it is a meeting of 10 or 50, only two people ever raise their hands as being available for sponsorship.

And they are rarely people you would actually want in your life. The people who seem like they would be suited never seem to be available.

It is so hard to get a sponsor. The ones who do it well are too overburdened. (Once I ran into a sponsor on the street and he forgot I was one of his sponsees.)

Also, no one seems to agree on what a sponsor is supposed to do. Mine says he will work the steps with me when I am ready for step 4. Other people talk to their sponsors all the time.

I guess what I really want is someone who can talk to me about recovery more one on one. Since leaving rehab years ago, I do not really have anyone. I never knew any alcoholics or addicts socially before rehab and I still do not. Maybe I do not need a sponsor to do this, but I never was the kind of person who could talk to strangers at parties and meetings are even worse.