View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bernadette

I dont know what to do anymore.

Yes you do! You're doing it! Just keep doing the next right thing for your kids and for you!

Last winter my youngest daughter began having academic problems for the first time in school. She was pulled out of the class on a daily basis to be tested for learning disabilitys. This was heartbreaking as it was so upsetting to her. I needed to fill out form after form and at the last minute on the final form put down that my husband was an alcoholic, much to his dismay. I didnt care I wanted to get to the bottom of it. At the same time my husband constantly harassed and verbally abused and insulted my 16 year old son. It was just terrible. Long story short I made him leave our home in May, in a few weeks my daughters academic problems with memory problems etc were gone. The teachers and administrators couldnt get over it, but I always knew in my heart he was causing her problems.

This is advocating and taking action for the mental health and well-being of your child. I really admire you for making that choice. I wish my Mom had done that. The one time I dared to "say it out loud" that maybe I was angry and sick and tired of pretending because Dad is an alcoholic she slapped me right across the face. I never felt so alone. So lied to.

Your son has every right to be angry at his father. Can you get him into some alcoholic family specific counseling? AlAteen or AlAnon is free, and anonymous. I wish I had discovered AlAteen when I was a kid-- but I can say when I finally did get into AlAnon in my twenties it turned my head around. Great stuff.

peace-
b