View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
UniversesChild

Count_me_in

Hi everyone, I read all of the September posts and strangely feel like you're old friends by now! I'm on my 8th day and can relate to so many of your stories. I'm approaching age 45 and the drinking has been escalating over the past year. I'm still very emotional and have major appetite issues (almost none at all--I used to just drink a few beers when I was hungry). I woke up with a horrendous headache today and automatically assumed I was hungover. Turns out to be allergies.

I've been going to AA meetings almost every day, and find so much support there, especially being new to sobriety.

As far as what to say to your usual drinking buddies, my temp. sponsor cautioned me not to tell them you're an alcoholic, or they may actually try to get you to drink (because they don't want to deal with their own issues, they will try to get you to drink too). So I tell them I'm not drinking because I've been terribly depressed and want to see if not drinking improves my mood. It's not a lie, it's just not total disclosure. Heavy-drinking neighbors who used to drive me crazy by coming over every day haven't stopped by for a week. Very interesting!

Anyway, thank you all for your honest shares and support for each other. Congratulations to everyone in this group for their courage and strength. This is an awesome group. -UC