View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
McGowdog

So why no crosstalk?

I go to some meetings where they say, "No crosstalking allowed". My understanding of crosstalk is when someone comes and says something like, "I have a problem in my life and this is what it is... Can you give me some feedback?" And the next 34 people share at that person.

Or I guess it can be when someone shares and other people comment on that other person's share.

Am I on track? Is this what crosstalk is?

If so, why not do it? Why bad? And... more importantly, how does a meeting structure itself to avoid it altogether?

My group, for one, would never lay itself out to crosstalk. A chairperson comes with a topic, reads out of the book and shares their ESH or just experience in the topic, we meditate, then the chairperson calls on people to share. You share from your own experience. You don't give feedback or advice to others because... it just don't work that way. Now during crossfire, one member asks another member a question about the topic.

So this group I went to at noon today, the chair person opens the meeting, and when done, says, "Does anyone have a topic?" So this lady and her son share about how their 16 year old son is drinking himself to death and dropping out of high school and dating some girl who he shouldn't and she takes him to school and to work and isn't sure if he isn't sneaking off and what can she do. She's in tears. He's in tears.

It was... interesting to say the least. And yes, there was crosstalk at this meeting. Most of what people said is... "We can't advise you", "Alanon", "Hit a bottom", etc.

To me, the simple solution would seem to be have the chairperson come to the meeting WITH a topic.

Thoughts?