Old 09-16-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I too often turned to drinking because of a life long problem of insomnia. Now I tend to eat when I can't sleep and primarily junk food...Starting last month for 3 weeks straight I wasn't sleeping more than 2-4 hours a night I was becoming so angry and everyone and everything, my panic attacks were also increasing due to the lack of sleep. 1 night I even starting screaming at my little Pekingnese just because she was looking at me--that was the last straw- I made an appt with my dr and went to see her last Friday. She gave me a RX for klonopin(sp?) and I've only taken 2 pills since Friday (I took a whole 1 the first day and just 1/2 on 2 other days) and I'M SLEEPING AGAIN! I'm calmer and I can relax, life is good again.
Is it klonopin or clonidine? Klonopin is a benzo similar to Xanax, Librium, Ativan, etc. I used to take Xanax to help me sleep, but my new doctor felt that given it's addictive nature, and my history of drug and alcohol abuse, that it was not the best choice.

I have been having more sleep issues since coming off of it and she suggested clonidine. It has been traditionally perscribed to help with withdrawl symptons and cravings, but more recently has been perscirbed to help with insomnia. I haven't started taking it yet, but I understand it to be helpful with sleep, while not being addictive.

Either way, I'm glad you are finally getting some sleep. I've had periods like that as well and they can make you go crazy!! Take care.