View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
URMYEVERYTHING

Originally Posted by ghost99 View Post
My wife is a recovering addict (DOC: vicodin and alcohol). She told me that during her AA meetings they recommend that she take cymbalta to stop smoking.

That is weird. I never heard of AA meetings giving med advice. She might want to change groups if they are conducting meetings in this manner. Then again, she could be fabricating.

So she gets a year prescription for cymbalta from a doctor friend.

RED FLAG, RED FLAG... Doctor Friend.... What else is she getting from this doctor friend who was so willing to give her a year's Rx for Cymbalta?? I would question her connection with this doctor friend. Is this the person she is also getting the Vicodin from?

There is nothing I could find that indicates that this is used to stop smoking (it's primarily an anti-depressant). Anyway red flags are going up again. Am I over reacting?
You are correct... Cymbalta is used for depression and especially in those that have somatic complaints associated with depression (headaches, body aches, etc.). The commonly used antidepressant used to help with smoking is Wellbutrin. The other anti-smoking med used is Zyban.

My advice to you is that an addict can't be trusted in their reporting. I would gently advise her to see someone other than her doctor friend. Kind of like a second opinion. If she refuses, then her motive is to keep this doctor friend as a connection which would raise my suspicions. This would have me questioning their relationship and if she is even being honest with this doctor friend?? Is he her supplier (willingly or nonwillingly). Either way, it's something to look out for.