View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

I'll start. I'll pick door number three:

Filtering

I tend to focus on the negative and completely ignore all of the positive things in my life.

This is how it goes (here's the bad):

--I'm nearly 30 and I'm living at home with mommy and daddy.
--I work in a fast food restaurant.
--I have no social life.
--I'm fat.
--I have acne...so I'm ugly.

These things play over and again in my mind all of the time. In order to drown out the negativity I now acknowledge the positive things about me and in my life:

--I'm funny
--I take good photographs
--I'm creative
--I'm sensitive (yes, I think that's a good thing)
--I'm caring
--I'm sober
--I'm getting help for depression

Taking this a step further, I argue against all of the negative thoughts I have:

--True, I'm living at home with my parents, but I've made big positive changes in my life. I'm becoming more responsible and I am getting my sh!t together. I'm sober and I'm getting help for my mental illness. I feel better. I have a home. I am grateful that I have a supportive family and these people want me to get better. They love me. That's awesome.

--True, I work in fast food and it's not my cup of tea, but I have a job. I just got a promotion so I'm making more money. I am saving up my money. This job will get me out of my parent's house. This job will get me a car. This job will open up more opportunities for me. Managerial experience is good resume fodder.

--True, I have no social life, but I'm a likeable person. I'm working on building my confidence. I recently "outed" myself at work. I'm becoming stronger by the day. The more time that passes the more I like myself. When I'm ready, I'll be back out there in the real world with bells on.

--True, I'm overweight, but I lost 30 pounds earlier this year. I can do it. I've done it before and I'll do it again. If I slip with food that doesn't mean I have to crash and burn. I won't beat myself up and I'll keep moving forward.

--True, I have acne, but I've been using medicated soaps and creams. The acne isn't gone but there has been improvement. The acne isn't nearly as bad as it could be. I'm not a bombshell, but dang it I'm not a dog either. I have nice eyes and lips and a wonderful smile. Oh, and I really like my hair.