View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
takincareome

Hahaha. I'm glad things have worked out for you. It's true that you never quite know what you're getting into. When I married for the first time, I married my best friend from college, someone I'd known for more than 10 years. It took a while before I realized he had some very serious issues surrounding trust and the truth; that he was a practicing alcoholic (hey, just like my AF! Funny that!) and that he had no idea how to make a marriage work. When I found out he'd been sleeping with one of my so-called friends, well, that was that.

I met my current husband online, and I can honestly say he is without a doubt the healthiest and most "normal" person I think I've ever been around. Not only has he helped me overcome my baggage from my first marriage, he has actively supported and encouraged my recovery from my childhood, AF, codie mom. He's taught me what "normal" is -- which as an ACOA, I never knew. (Neither did first husband, BTW, as BOTH his parents were alcoholics.) I don't think, if it weren't for him, I would be in recovery today.

But I dated around enough online to know that indeed, you never quite know who you're going to wind up dealing with! I'm thrilled to know that you had a happy ending.