View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bval

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
nalla - it concerns me that you always find a way to JUSTIFY whatever it is you are taking during your pregnancy.....ANYTHING that goes into you goes into the baby....
sorry, but that baby doesn't have a choice. he or she is a fragile being that needs your body as a cocoon for healthy growth. give her that.
I totally agree on principle anvil, but I do want to make a small point about this subject.

It's definitely not the case that ANYTHING you put into your body will go into your fetus' body. There is a semi-permeable membrane (I wanna say it's called something like the 'placental barrier' maybe?) between your blood and the baby's blood which doesn't actually allow 'everything' through to the fetus. This barrier generally prevents the direct intermingling of the mothers and babies blood supply.

As I understand it, the main purpose if this membrane is that if it were not there, the mothers immune system would detect the baby as a foreign invader, and would attack it. But it also serves the function of protecting the fetus from many other substances that might be present in the mother's blood during pregnancy.

Basically, the larger the molecule, the lower the chance that a substance will pass through this barrier. Believe it or not, my cousin was told by her doctor that it was fine to smoke pot to cope with her extreme morning sickness, because this barrier will prevent a molecule the size of THC (it is a large and complex molecule) from ever passing through to the baby.

Although I'm not positive this is fact in the particular case of THC, I've no reason to suspect that this was inaccurate information.

I'm only bringing this up to point out ... we're not doctors. Although it may 'intuitively' seem logical that everything a mother puts in her body will also go into the body of her fetus, this supposition is definitely NOT actually the case. Only certain types of molecules, with specific traits (mostly that means small/non-complex molecules) will pass through to the fetus.