View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
margarok

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
Hey girl, glad to see you back. I've taken firoicet for migraines before also. Your first sentence was "I took it for the first time today and it made me feel good"...This concerns me because that's exactly how my opiate addiction started. I was prescribed pain pills for a busted knee, but they made me feel 'good'...the rest is history.
You didn't say, " I took it for the first time and it help my migraine". As addicts, we are in danger of becoming addicted to ANYTHING! I know, that before I got help, if I'd had some fioricet, and no hydros, or oxycos, I'd have gone to 'town' on them. Plus, I saw my mom get really messed up on fioricets a long time ago.
IMO, stay away from them.
Hope you're doing well,

Penny

I knew I'd seen this mentioned in here and wanted to help people understand the dangers of fioricet.

I have headaches from being shunted for hydrocephalus and I realized that I was taking the pain pills (lortabs) for more than headaches. I stopped them, but wanted more and had to come clean with my doctor about it. "nuf said? I popped in to share when I got off the lortabs... told you my doctor had found me an alternative to lortab.

Anyway, this spring, when pressure headaches were bothering me a lot, I asked my doctor for something that was not as habit-forming as lortab. He gave me Fioricet, up to 3 a day. (6 months of refills -- Good grief!)

I asked if I had to worry about tolerance and withdrawal, and he said that stopping them could cause rebound headaches, compared that to a hangover. He said it was nothing as serious as addiction to lortab.

And no, I didn't read the insert from the pharmacy.

At first, taking one or two for a headache was "no big deal" and I noticed it alleviated the headache fairly well and I didn't automatically want more. But, after a week, I was taking two a day. When I was at three a day in early August and wanting more, I finally googled it.

And now I know that I'm going to have to get myself off this crap now. I've cut down over the last couple of weeks by 25% per week, down to two halves a day. (My doctor knows, but so what? He's the one who prescribed it when I asked for something that wasn't addictive like lortab. He suggested Valium to help get off this. )

I just did a search here to see if Fioricet was ever an issue for anyone here. And just to let you all know... it doesn't get me high, just reduces the pressure headache. But it sure does make me feel like crud if I stop it abruptly. I've decided to cope with the pressure headaches on occasion and leave the drugs in the drugstore.

I just wanted to post this here and warn others in case you have a doctor like mine.

And now you know.

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.