Thread: Thoughts Please
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Midton

Originally Posted by Reese321 View Post
You are perfectly normal. A normal abuser of alcohol that is. But I think in a better position than most.

Do you look forward to Saturdays? Like a lot? Do you start drinking on Wednesdays and does it continue until Saturday? You obviously have some form of self-control due to your lack of drinking on Sun and Mon. Can you take hold of that self-control and run with it?

Seems like a huge hump, eh? I know. I think we all know. You did it before. What was the trigger in those two times? Identifying that trigger may unlock the key to knowing why you drink.

Good luck man, and keep posting!
I've always looked forward to the weekends, even sober I still do. It's when I can relax and alcohol was for a long time a positive part of that I incorrectly thought. I never drank on a Sunday due to my massive Saturday binge which left my a pathetic anxious shell of a person practically unable to move on a Sunday. I never drank on Mondays for various reasons. My Saturday night binge was still fresh in my memory and I wanted to put more distance between myself an alcohol. I guess Monday being the start of the week it was also the start of my mini-detox which sadly lasted until Tuesday or Wednesday.

I do have self-control and am quite competitive. If I say I'm going to do something I generally will. This is my dilemma though having a modicum of self-control is making me feel that I don't really have a problem. I have absolutely no self-control after drink number one and I could see things were getting worse. This disease was creeping up on me. I drank to get drunk and don't really understand people who don't. I probably would rather not drink than drink in moderation. At my age and with a family I had to change my ways.

God, I'd love to have a bottle of wine tonight but God, I really don't want to wake up like I used to. The longest I've been without alcohol is 3 months about 5 years ago. My initial goal is to break that and see where I stand. I'm 80% sure I can do it.