Thread: Thoughts Please
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Midton

Thought I'd bump this for myself at least. This was my first thread and first post and although dated August 10 I was sure I posted it on August 9. Nevertheless I know I stopped drinking on August 9. Where I am, it is now September 9 so I have been sober for 1 month or I'm now on my 32nd day.

Sadly I'm beginning to forget why and how I felt when I first posted. The first few days of sobreity were difficult but from day 4 or so I was on such a high that I breezed it until this week.

Life is better. I'm sleeping well, my anxiety has totally gone, I'm calmer and getting fitter and fitter. I also stopped ambien, after more that 4 years, 18 days ago. Things are great but I still have this nagging emptieness. In my mind somewhere in the future I picture myself enjoying a relaxing glass of my favorite tipple. My mind is saying to me "You're not that bad. You've proved you don't have to drink. You're not an alcoholic". My consciousness is gradually beginning to listen more and more. I'm scanning articles on alcoholism looking for snippits that I can cling to which prove I'm not an alcoholic, just a heavy drinker who needs to cut down. My life is so much better now that it was a month ago why am I so desperate to return to that hell.

I hope to bump this thread on October 9th to report another month of sobriety. Despite the temptations I'm confident I will do it.