Thread: positive bubba
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 03:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
thirtybubba
Owner of a strange glitch.

Oh, and yeah Dee, I saw that list last weekend--I was trying to write a post about something to do back then, but then I gave up 'cause I thought it wasn't the same as everybody else's posts.

I cut & pasted the whole thing, deleted all the same ones, deleted all the things I simply can't do (walk dog) and ended up with read/write, post on SR, listen to music, calm-ish activities. I already do lots of these type of things, and I can add crossword puzzles/word jumbles to the list. I been doing a lot of those. But every single thing I have ever typed on here was accompanied by music, on my end at least, I take my laptop earphones off to put on my ipod earphones. And I write much more than what I post. Read all the time, although these days it's more textbooks than novels, or short stories--my favorite...bubba got no attention span.

What I was looking for was more active things. I walk all the time too, places I could drive if I was a real Southern Californian, but anything inside of 3 miles I usually walk just because it takes me longer to get there, which occupies more of my day.

I'm still on the withdrawal pills, although I'm withdrawing from them now, so I'm still nervous about moderate/strenuous physical activity, although soon I will be capable of that again.

I just need things that are more, well, exciting, I guess, to round out my life.

I used to have that, but it was largely--well, illegal. None of it appeals to me anymore. I calmed down, got a job, went to school, and never replaced that part of my life except with alcohol. Till I was in my twenties, drugs and alcohol were everyday, but dare I say it, more moderate. I mean, I was always (too) drunk and high, but I never let it get out of control like I did after I calmed down. Strangely, when I calmed down I actually took that active part of my life out on purpose, figuring that would just get me into trouble. Little did I know...

When I was working, I didn't need to go out on days off, so I'd drink what a 120lb person probably shouldn't be able to. And I wouldn't go out. But it was because there was a nagging little cell in me telling me, 'you should go out and do something' and there was nothing to do, nobody to do it with. So I'd hush it with whiskey and more whiskey 'cause it was my cell after all, and bless its little cellular heart, it just didn't know when to say when.

I've been knowing for about 3 years I needed a hobby or something. This isn't something I figured out after sobriety. It's probably the only thing that might save me that I realized about myself while drinking, but when I asked around, everybody told me 'you know, just go do the usual things people do.' Which I didn't know what they were, never having been a 'usual people'. So, frustrated, I just hit the bottle harder. That was when I didn't feel the urge to do something so strongly, I was more content to just hang around. And slowly separated myself from society in the process, getting even further behind...

Anyways. All that to say, I need better things to do. Exciting things, or moderately exciting things--I don't mean on jump out of a airplane level here. I'm not going to describe what all I was doing, but it basically was not sitting around. I mean, a bunch of people going to the arcade was fun. Camping. Racing cars... Whatever. Problem is, I don't have people, so I gotta make up for it somehow, or lose my sanity and probably my sobriety. Still planning on going to that rock thing tomorrow. Never climbed a indoor rock before.