View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
jamdls

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Okay, atheist types.

You know I'm one very gay non-believer, so this is going to be a very gay thread. I need help.

Still in therapy and have yet to talk about why I have no self-esteem and confidence. All of this can be traced back to my religious upbringing. I believed I would burn in hell for all eternity for liking the womens. I had no role models (I promise this isn't a sob-story) or anyone around me to say that being gay rocks....only people who thought it was evil/sinful/disgusting/blahblahblah...

...so, I repressed my sexuality. I did a bang up job, too. It's amazing how a person can take something and bury it deeply and live in blissful denial...for a while, anyways, before everything explodes into a huge thundering sh!tstorm.

Today I'm doing much better...but I really need to bring this up in therapy. I need to talk about how my experiences with my religion royally f*cked my brain up. I'm trying to pick up the pieces...still. Only problem is I don't know how to bring this up in therapy without sounding like I'm totally bashing religion. Should I even care? I'm the one paying for this, anyways, and if I don't talk about it how do I move forward? Anyone in heathen land ever have to talk to a therapist about how religion messed with your head?

My therapist got her degree from a religious institution, did I mention that? Not that it matters...but religion is a touchy subject...

I'm not a heathen and I'm not gay but I want to respond anyhow. I was raised with a religion that I found extremely hypocritical (get drunk and laid on Saturday night-get forgiven on Sunday morning) so I can relate to religion screwing up people. Also I believe we are all God's creation so if he made ya gay then he made ya gay, I'm asexual and that's just the way it is. Now, I'm obviously not a therapist but I can understand, and have heard, how people can can use religous dogma to defy homesexuality, I think it is wrong. Your therapist should be able to separate HER religious views from her patients views, if not you should find another therapist. You deserve to be heard.