Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
URMYEVERYTHING

Originally Posted by cece1960 View Post

I couldn't help but cringe at this...her issues may just be dealing with an addicted son. His issues are his to own and right now, that issue is his addiction.

This is true to a certain extent. His issues are his own and that's his addiction, however, his addiction affects everyone entangled with him, including his mother. And in reading the hx between the two they both seem like co-dependents that feed off each other. Otherwise, I wouldn't have made such a direct statement. I agree, not all addict's mother's are THE issue. But in this case, the relationship sounds toxic and one that is embedded with many emotional roots.

Us parents need the same learning curve as the spouse or significant other when it comes to dealing with addiction. Does she enable him? Probably yes, but I'm sure she's willing to spend the money because she hopes and prays that this may be his time.

True indeed. Thus, the reason she keeps helping. That hope we all hang onto in hoping our addicts change and get help. This will still be heartbreaking though when her son doesn't follow through this time. Often times, in therapy, the focus is all on the addict while families, spouses, children are left to suffer on their own. I look at both perspectives of the fence. Even though families, spouses, ect. much detach HIS issue of addiction has consumed the lives of others.

(((Hugs)))
Addiction robs us all. WE (the co-addicts) need to find a way to escape without losing our minds.