Old 09-03-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cece1960
Forum Leader

"His Mom is once again stepping in to pay for rehab, this time over $8,000.00... She is only paying as long as he goes to counseling sessions with her after he gets out. I am sorry, but could someone tell me if it is a little strange that my husband is going to a therapist with his mother??? HE IS 30 YEARS OLD! For goodness sake, they are not married! It is his MOTHER! UGH!"

"He must have issues with his mother which leads him to addiction.
He can't cope with something that could be connected to the relationship he had with his mother and continues to have. Addiction affects ALL involved with the addict. Even though he is 30, he is still her son. Just the fact that she is paying $8,000 for his rehab stay says a lot. If he fails, she feels disappointed. It's all connected. It may also be good for his mother to go to therapy. If she's an enabler, she may learn something about herself. "

I couldn't help but cringe at this...her issues may just be dealing with an addicted son. His issues are his to own and right now, that issue is his addiction.

Us parents need the same learning curve as the spouse or significant other when it comes to dealing with addiction. Does she enable him? Probably yes, but I'm sure she's willing to spend the money because she hopes and prays that this may be his time.

No one can make him go to counseling, but I have a feeling that she's trying to play her last card in the hopes that something will change.

Trust me, dealing with addiction brings out the weird in all of us parents.

I wish he and you the best and hope that his time to change is now.
(((Hugs)))