View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
URMYEVERYTHING

Suboxone is an opiate blocker in which the addict cannot become addicted to but believes he is addicted to it. The concerning thing about Suboxone because it is an opiate blocker is that if they use while taking it they increase their chances of overdosing because they will take higher levels of an opiate to feel the high. (I say this because I am a licensed therapist that works with dual diagnosed clients). But still speak with the doctor who is prescribing the Suboxone. He needs to educate himself on the risks of taking Suboxone in the event he relapses.

Second, this is from my experience so please don't take this the wrong way... .but LOCK your stuff up (checkbooks, jewelry, etc). Look for signs of a relapse (behaviors, physical signs, etc.) and remove him from the home immediately if you see these signs. Of course, any DOC is hard to recover from and yes, the addict needs to make the decision to stop and recover but you will hear from heroin addicts the constant struggle between physical and mental obsessions that always get them to relapse.

I had that same feeling of wondering what he was doing while I wasn't home and the reality was.... he was getting high. So, now that he is removed from my home and in a rehab, I don't have that worry and my child doesn't experience that worry. I have learned that in order to have a relationship with him in sobriety, he has to work all of the steps of life on his own (rebuilding his own credit, getting his own apartment, etc, etc). I have set the limit that if we are to remain together, I will not settle with you coming home to me after any detoxes, rehabs, etc. He understands. And, if he continues to relapse, I have to let him go completely.

You are right, it is one day at a time... but each day you need to work to protect yourself and your family from his addiction.

Stay in touch.... Keep us posted. You're in my prayers.