View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 07:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bikewench

Live-it-up....

The phrase in Step 2 "restore me to sanity" use to bother me. Sanity was a pretty strong word for me at the time. But then... I started thinking of some of the things I'd done in my life... and they certainly weren't sane. lol

Lot's of labels were bandied around in ACOA. Borderline personality disorder was one oft heard.

The thing is... I don't believe any person can look at me or listen to me and give me a nutshell diagnosis for what ails me mentally and emotionally. Recovery for me was a series of "ahhh hah"'s around behaviors and thoughts that were causing me problems. And the ahh hah's came when I sat in the meetings listening to other people's open and honest sharing so that I could see a snapshot of their life and see how a certain character defect was causing them problems (and me as well).... and how they learned to change that.

I thought LOTS of times that my parents should have had their a$$es kicked for letting me get all screwed up like I did...; )

Anyway... I hope that you don't let labels prevent you from your goal to "function better"... ; ).. cause it's worth the effort.