View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
GiveLove

Wooten,

You are in a tough situation, but before I talk about that, let me just point something out:

Almost ALL of our alcoholic loved ones are "wonderful people...except when drinking." If they were jerks 24/7, then we would have a much better time of removing ourselves from their presence. This is the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde problem of alcoholism. Many of them - like my siblings - are lovely, lovely people. Except.

You say you do not want to be married to an alcoholic. Unfortunately, he IS an alcoholic (from what you've told us). So the price you will pay for this relationship is never knowing -- when you are 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 -- if or when he will relapse, throwing your life into chaos. There are alcoholics who make it their entire lives and never drink again, but they are in the minority.

You say too that you are compatible. I could've said that with most of the relationships in my life with substance abusers -- I was compatible with them all, to one degree or another, from 30% to 90%. Not all alcoholics are wife beaters or street winos - many are like your boyfriend, with good social skills, good personalities when sober, etc.

Your decision is whether this "compatibility" - with the huge dealbreaker of alcoholism hanging over you - is going to be enough to make up for the stress and doubt of dealing with this disorder on a daily basis. I know, for me, it was not. Worrying constantly about "will this make him drink? will that event make him use? is he drinking now?...." is not what I wanted to do with my precious minutes of life. I knew that somewhere out there was someone who was both kind AND had no chemical problems.

Examine too what Freedom said above, in light of your comment that you're worried about breaking up with him, that it will make him drink again. THIS is the pattern we get ourselves into over and over, not necessarily seeking out slobbering drunks, but seeking out relationships with this dynamic-- that's where the books can really illuminate a few things, and help you with your decision.

I wish you luck in finding the right path for yourself and your child.