Old 08-22-2009, 11:34 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Freepath
Up from the ashes

I’ve rejected the idea that drinking is a disease. Using a term like “alcoholism” is like using a term like “chemotherapyism.” Alcohol is a treatment. It’s a salve that we rub on the infected parts of our lives. So I suppose that when we’re puking our guts out it would be accurate to say “this stuff is killing me…” But labeling it the primary problem constitutes false logic. Look around the forums. The real problem IS US.

I can’t obviously speak for everyone, but the last relapse that I had occurred as a result of my own careless decision to put my own mental health lower on my priority list. I never should have lost track of the idea that I have had some messed up things happen in my life, and I need to work through them. I need to set aside time and energy in the name of dealing with my ill adjusted way of dealing with life’s problems.

I think a lot of us are looking for euphoria when we pick up a bottle. Ahhh…intoxication. The sweet feeling that we are happy, well and have every reason to feel confident. Even when reality doesn’t quite corroborate the illusion.

The road from apathy is filled with finding things that we care about. In my opinion, discovering our passions and focusing on our own happiness provides a solid foundation for lifelong sobriety.

My epiphany of the week….