View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wooten3955

I suspect my boyfriend is drinking again

My boyfriend and I have been together off and on for two years. About a year into our relationship, I confronted him about his drinking problem (when he was drunk...I realize now that was not the best strategy). We were apart for about six months when he decided to stop drinking and get professional help. He went to group meetings and also met with a counselor one-on-one (it was not Alcoholics Anonymous, but a church-affiliated program).
Everything seemed to be going fine till today. He just returned from a family vacation, and admitted to me that his cravings for alcohol were very strong during the trip because of others who were drinking around him. When I talked to him on the phone, I was 95% sure he was intoxicated. He seemed extremely up and happy, which is not normally his mood. I am going to ask him directly about it tomorrow, but feel I already know the answer in my heart.
We live over an hour away from each other. I would drive up there now, but I have a four-year-old son.
How many second chances can you give a person??? He also just admitted to me that he had a beer at his friend's wedding reception and did not tell me about it at first because he feared how I would react.
I don't know what to do...I love him and we're very compatible, but I don't want to be married to a using alcoholic. My ex-husband was a drug user who hid his habits from me, and I don't want to go through that again.
What is the right thing to do here??