Old 08-21-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
mistycshore

Poppy, sorry to hear that. I love the idea of journaling though. It's powerful, and empowering, to be a little further down the road and look back to where you were. It's funny that I can't exactly remember where I was in my head even last week - tricky brains we've got. I bet you find journaling helpful. As they say in nicotine recovery circles - never stop quitting.

I did get the job. It felt really good - after sending out so many resumes and filing so many applications and not getting a single call back. He was full of praise. He said that he had already decided if I showed up for the interview, he would offer me the job. He told me I was way overqualified (which I knew). He asked if I truly understood that it was $10 per hour. He also asked for a year's commitment (gentleman's agreement), which I gave him. He assured me that I would have at least six hours per night for homework and encouraged me to bring in my laptop, books, whatever I needed. So, since I'm already committed to this job, I've decided that instead of leaving school when I get my degree in December, I'm going to stay and get my teacher's certification. That would guarantee me a job in the local school district. Here, newly hired certified teachers only start at $30,000 per year, but that includes three months off in the summer, two weeks off in the winter, one week off in the spring, every federal holiday and sick leave. Sounds pretty good to me (going to sound a lot better after a year of working full-time and going to school full-time!).

My one regret is that I promised my daughter-in-law that I would be there for the birth of her first baby (my first grand-baby) because her mom won't be able to be there. I called today and told her about the job - and if she goes into labor while I'm on shift, I won't be able to leave because I'll be the only one there. She was cool with it though. Most first mom's have at least 12-hours in labor, so I should make it anyway - I hope.

I've already made an appointment to talk to someone on Monday about getting into the teacher licensure program. I'm starting to feel excited about the future again. For a while there, I was wondering if I would ever work again (scary thought).

Hugs to all,