Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
freya

When I have to do something like this, I usually like to pick a favorite passage from the literature. (It's usually a good idea to make some extra copies of whatever the passage is.)

I've also found that it often gets things going well to sometimes take a "devils advocate" approach, like with the ODAT passage for yesterday about "forgetting" the past. My homegroup always reads form a daily reader at the beginning of the meeting, and yesterday someone read that. Then there was a bit of sharing during which people started to get quite self-denigrating along the lines of "Oh, yes, it's so unfair and mean to hold the A's past behavior against him...and how can I be such a b*tch."

Well, I'm sorry, but that's one of those ODAT readings that just goes a little too far in promoting a naive martry role, so finally I said: "For me there's a big difference between forgiving and forgetting. And it's healthy for me to forgive, but it's stupid of me to forget. Let's say I put my hand on a hot stove and get burned.....well, yes, it's stupid of me to go around resenting the stove for burning me and refusing to use it ever again...but it's even stupider of me to foget that the stove burns, thereby stettting myself up to get burned over and over again."

So, yeah, that got things going pretty well!

freya