View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
notofeudalism

Originally Posted by Freepath View Post

Here are some self recovery options:

Self-help strategies for quitting - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

Quit Drinking Alcohol: Steps for How to Stay Sober Without AA or Other Treatment Programs | Suite101.com

How to Quit Drinking on Your Own | eHow.com

Stop Drinking Alcohol Now - How To Quit Drinking On Your Own

A heated debate occurs in recovery circles about which recovery model works best. There are many opinionated people with strict guidelines about what works and what doesn’t.

There are a few points that I would mention:

First, hanging around friends and people who drink and who think that drinking is a great time is probably not a good idea. Find some sober friends. I don’t think you will have to go to a recovery group to do that, but sober people tend to hang around at recovery groups.

Second, watch out for replacing one addiction with another. If, every time you decide to have a drink, you smoke four joints instead, you probably have not done yourself any recovery favors. I’m sure that you have met people who quit drinking, but they smoke cigarettes like crazy.

Finally, ask yourself why you drink. This is huge. I believe that an important part of recovery involves looking into the motives for your behavior. If you are struggling with guilt or depression or boredom or anger, then exploring solutions to these kinds of problems will help to eliminate the trigger for why you drink in the first place.

It’s my opinion that drinking is like a rash on an AIDs patient. You might think that all you need to do is get rid of the rash (the drinking), but there are probably deeper problems which caused your desire to drink excessively to occur.

Welcome to our secular area. I hope that you can free yourself from drinking alcohol.

Really good post. Lots of self reflection in those words. laziness and boredom come to mind. Also deeper problems and anger. Thank you

Last edited by shockozulu; 08-19-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Removing link to advertising site