Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sfgirl

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
I personally have a problem with a lot of celebrities who publicly claim to be alcoholics. Too many of them give us alcoholics a bad name by bouncing in and out of rehab every six moinths. There are certain exceptions to this - Anthony Hopkins and John Larroquette come to mind. But they don't wear their alcoholism on their sleeves, either. They quietly go about their lives successful in their careers and their recovery. And both have spoken often at AA meetings, so if you can get a copy of a CD of them speaking, grab it. They're both great.
I think the more people out and proud the better. It makes it real and acceptable. And as for people bouncing in and out of sobriety— that seems to me to be pretty much what happens to everyone in different guises. It takes a few times, right? It is a hard disease to lick. There are a lot of celebrities that have solid recovery. Unfortunately, they obviously aren't as fun for the tabloids, "Anthony Hopkins still solid and sober," vs "Lohan partying a day after getting out of rehab." I think another celeb with good recovery is Jamie Lee Curtis; I like how she had herself photographed for a magazine without airbrushing and all the futzing and makeup. She is very honest with herself and the public of late it seems and also on some board at Columbia Hospital to help addicts. I think that is solid.