Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
monkey1

Krissy - thanks for responding with your experience with subs as a pain med. From what I've read so far it doesn't seem like its incredibly effective in that area. I'd really like to kill two birds with one stone.
I, too, take 1200mgs of neurontin a day (600am/600midpm/1200bedtime). I thought I was actually starting to get some relief from the increased dose, but it must have just been a good couple of days, hasn't helped any since. My pain guy said that the therapeutic dose is 1800mgs and he's know docs who have prescribed up to 5600mgs/day - he doesn't agree with that high a dose, but he has prescribed up to 3600mgs/day. I'd be wrecked if I took that amount, LOL. I read somewhere that swelling of the lower extremities can be a side effect as can weight gain. I consider myself lucky to not have experienced either, yet. I'd stop taking it if I started gaining weight. Maybe not if it was working, but I wouldn't put myself through that for nothing. I just lost ~70lbs in the past 8 months, granted not in a healthy way, but still I did need to lose it and I couldn't bear to put it back on. Sorry to run off-topic there. The other side effect I have (other than the drunkies) is my hands are stiff all the time and hurt like hell some days.

I hope the swelling isn't indicative of a heart-related issue. Is your doc ordering tests, I hope?