Thread: Vivid Recovery
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
spittake
Zen Nihilist

I have definitely felt this way. I recall being 4 years out of high school and reconnecting with a friend who had just graduated college and gotten a salaried position doing something pretty damn respectable. I felt like a big failure.

Then I got to thinking about it. I wouldn't even want to do what he's doing, and I actually liked my job at the time, even if it paid hourly, was entry-level, and didn't sound sophisticated when I talked about it. Actually, I rather liked that it wasn't sophisticated. I found all sorts of things that I loved about being blue-collar.

I thought about what I'd missed out on by not going to college. The main thing that came to mind was knowledge. That's when I decided that I could learn about anything I wanted to; I don't need to be enrolled in a class to assimilate information.

But, I'm the sort who enjoys being as unique as possible, and rejecting the accepted definitions of success. I relish the freedom I feel in not having some huge, long-term plan for my life.

Originally Posted by vividserenity
the big one is that they know who they are.
I'd say this is at the heart of your issue. I've become very aware of who I am, and I'm quite proud to be me. Perhaps that's the reason I lack a covetous inclination.

I don't know you, so I can't offer kind words, as such, but it pains me to hear you talk this way about yourself. I hope you discover what it is about you that gives your existence value; I believe you will find it if you truly want to.

My hope for everyone is that they reject the desire to be coveted.