Thread: boundaries
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
PacNorwesterner

How timely, is this discussion of boundaries.

Our grandchildren just left, after a ten month (actually is was only a ten DAYS) visit.

I feel like the worst grandmother ~ worst human being ~ on the planet.

Our ten year old grandson is autistic. I'm very cognizant of his personality and capabilities; however, the child has no boundaries at all. I don't think there is anything in the house that hasn't been moved, broken, or completely destroyed. After about day five, my husband and I just got worn out chasing him around.

I hate to admit it, but our daughter just abdicated her parental responsibilities while they were here. She said you just don't understand how hard it is to chase him down and discipline constantly ~ she's worn down too. (Actually. I do get it because a week was horrendous ~ but she is his mother).

Anyway, the point of this post is: I truly believe there are more things going on, than the autism. I'm wondering if he might be bi-polar or something, he has some real anger issues also. Our daughter and sil are highly educated and are willing to deal with autism, but I don't think they would ever consider the possibility that there are other issues (the river of denial runs deep).

Sorry for the pity party; I'm just frustrated and exhausted. I truly feel that child is headed for trouble in his later years. And, my guilt is killing me. Thanks for listening.