View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
IPT

I think it means he doesn't [I]really see that he has a problem[I]. My XAGF does, did the same thing. We'd go away on a trip and get away from the drugs and her co-dependant relationships and she'd be so much happier. She put all the pieces together and be ready to be done. recpgnize all that she lost and was losing. Then slowly it was "just once" and soon enough she was right back like she never even stopped. Addiction is ugly, and it destroys the people around it as much as the people in it. Except we don't even have the ability to dull the pain with the drug use. My advice is to walk away.....though that is super hard to do. I did it briefly and it was the most tranquil I felt in a long time. Now I got sucked back up into it and am as lost as ever.

A reovering addict friend of mine said that when an addict says they want to quit, they really do. It's just that once they try they find they don't have the coping skills to do it. I guess that is the real part of rehab - learning to cope and deal without just drugging the issues away.