View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sandrawg

Hi-I think your screenname says it all. I can relate to feeling mentall exhausted.

Let me ask you this:

1) do you LIKE being with someone who breaks their promises on a regular basis?

2) do you have even the slightest bit of trust for your AH?

3) do you feel like you are losing your self-respect because you're letting someone manipulate you and transgress boundaries that you have identified as important?

I ask these questions because I was in the same position as you with xabf

In the beginning with my ex, it was about cocaine, but that's only because I was choosing to deny the extent of his problems with alcohol (even tho I kept him out of jail once, and he smashed my phone and his computer..all when drunk). He promised not to do coke. Broke thaat promise twice (when drunk, of course). The last time he did coke, he knew he had pushed me too far, so he "admitted" he had a drinking problem.

I made him promise to stay sober for a month to prove to me he was serious about changing. He couldn't do it.

I don't care--one beer, two beers, then binge drinking...it's still alcoholism if someone can't stay sober, or can't avoid having alcohol affect their lives negatively.

I realized I was losing my self-respect by allowing him to get away with breaking his promises. I no longer wanted the stress and pain the drinking caused into my life. My trust in him had eroded to ZIP. I had no choice but to hold tight to my boundaries and walk.

What you do now is up to you. But I would caution that he knows now that your boundaries and your rules mean nada, because he has broken them so many times and gotten away with it. You might as well stop making him make promises-in my case, it kind of became a farce after a while.

Originally Posted by mentallyexh View Post
Just a quick question......ok......well it has been a bumpy road, and I finally felt we were making progress. Of course as always, he said he could drink 1-2 beers and I believe he could. Over the past week it has become a pitcher and then tonight a pitcher and a few shots. I tried to just now say anything, but then he asked what was wrong and I told him. Of course, again I am controlling, I must want out of this marriage etc.....I told him if he didn't stop that it wouldn't work because I do know that I am not going to fight this battle forever. He seemed a while ago to understand and have an Aha! moment, but apparently it was just to appease me. He scoffed now at the idea of going to a counselor, and of course he isn't drunk from 5 beers and a couple shots of whiskey - but, seems to me it is headed in the SAME old directions as before. It seems to wait til I'm not looking and slowly sneak up, until it is out of control and I can't take it, then we repeat the process -t his would be the 3rd time if choose to stay. OK so here is the actually question......Just because he isn't drunk doesn't make it ok right? In my head I know that.....but, I had said drinking and we seperate...so...is that to much to ask?