View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 12:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

I agree with Joe. Times change, things change, people change. Either this thing about court cards/papers will be accepted or it won't. Thank God group's have autonomy and can decide what works best for themselves.

The problem with bulletin 31 from NAWS is that it is not fellowship approved.
Not being fellowship approved doesn't make it illogical or lack value. There's a lot of writings by addicts for addicts that are sound and firmly rooted in the spiritual principles of our program. I, for one, have not ignored or misunderstood that the groups dictate to the WSB, and not the reverse. Bulletin #31 is merely a tool to aid discussion for the groups (and a good one, at that!!). It was clearly stated at the intro of the bulletin:

The group is the final authority in this matter. The suggestions offered here are merely intended to aid groups in their decision-making processes.

To me signing legal documents to be used in criminal court trials for a federally funded agency is affiliation. If that is not affiliation, then what is?
Maybe I'm dense or something, but I've never known court cards to be used in trials. I can't see why they'd be relevant. I've known judges to order people charged with crimes (whether innocent or guilty) to attend meetings as part of their "pre-trial release" or as a part of their post-trial sentencing or supervised release (after serving time). But that's just me and my experience is limited. Yet...as bulletin #31 talks about, as an addict trying to carry the message, it isn't my concern to focus on what the card is being used for. I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm certainly not qualified to decide who is ready to hear the message of recovery and who is not. As a member of NA, to sign a court card would only affiliate me with that addict who requested me to do so. I see it as no different than NA members who go to treatment facilities or halfway houses and carry the message to their clients. Is NA also "affiliated" with these organizations? Or is it a matter of cooperation?

Then again, maybe this issue isn't a big deal for me because I live in a fairly large NA area. We get addicts coming to our meetings all the time with papers (of all sorts) to be signed. Courts aren't the only organizations that require their "clients" to verify their meeting attendance. Halfway houses, treatment facilities, outpatient programs, and others do it as well. The vast majority of those who attend the meetings in my area DO NOT have papers to sign. So it isn't a big deal.

I tell you, this affiliation will be our undoing.
I doubt it. NA is much bigger and stronger than some of us tend to recognize. Court cards aren't a problem in every town, city or state. Just as bulletin #31 suggests, it is up to each group to determine which strategies to apply. Once the group has spoken, individual members who are disgruntled will either have to accept it or vote with their feet.

NA can survive wthout me....