Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
fashion33

I am new to recovery and don't know where to start. I thought answering these questions could help

1. What does it mean to be so powerless over alcohol that you are unable to manage your life?

For me, firstly, being powerless means being physically powerless because of drinking. Wasting entire days because physically, I couldn't get out of bed. Not being able to manage going to work because I was too hungover. I see that I am powerless over alcohol because I am unable to predict with certainty what one drink will lead to.

2. How far do you have to go to hit bottom? Do you drink alone so no one can see how much you consume? Do you hide stashes of alcohol where only you can find them?

I'm not sure if I've hit rock bottom- but for my sake I hope that this is my rock bottom. I am afraid of what "rock bottom" could me for me if I don't stop drinking. I never drink alone and I never hide my drinking. I have a problem with binge drinking and almost ended up in the emergency room. That was a big enough wake up call for me to know that I need help.

3. Have you ever felt like trying to use self-will to control your drinking is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline? Explain.

There have been times where I have been able to limit myself to a few drinks, or none at all. So this is a hard question for me. My problem is that I lack self control...I will go into a situation where there is alcohol and consciously think I want to get drunk...and then get really really really drunk because I never consciously told myself to be careful. I can relate to this with eating, however. I am overweight and sometimes when I try to eat healthy and exhibit self control, but it makes me obsess about food even more. In trying to get sober, I hope the same thing doesn't happen with alcohol the next time I am around it.

Thanks...these questions helped out a lot