View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KariSue

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
The difference between theism and nontheism is not whether one does or does not believe in God. Not according to the dictionary. It is an issue that applies to everyone, including both Buddhists and non-Buddhists. Theism is a deep-seated conviction that there’s some hand to hold: if we just do the right things, someone will appreciate us and take care of us. It means thinking there’s always going to be a babysitter available when we need one. We all are inclined to abdicate our responsibilities and delegate our authority to something outside ourselves. Nonthesism is relaxing with the ambiguity and uncertainty of the present moment without reaching for anything to protect ourselves…Nonthesism is finally realizing that there’s no babysitter that you can count on. You just get a good one and he or she is gone. Nonthesism is realizing that it’s not just babysitters that come and go. The whole of life is like that. This is the truth, and the truth is inconvenient.

For those who want something to hold on to, life is even more inconvenient. From this point of view, theism is an addiction. That seems like a BIG stretch to me. We’re all addicted to hope—hope that the doubt and mystery will go away. This addiction has a painful effect on society: a society based on lots of people addicted to getting ground under their feet is not a very comfortable place.I'm in the U.S. (not sure everyone on this forum is) and there are problems but most people believe and we have a pretty good society. I'm not sure I get your point.Namaste
I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm an atheist but just disagree with some of your thoughts is all.....

KariSue