View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
greeteachday
Administrator

so yeah I do understand my families position I just dont care for the delivery
I can definitely understand your frustration. Being from a family who doesn't know the art of staying in touch often (but we do pick up right where we left off, lol) I can't imagine having these kinds of conversations with my family on a daily or more often basis...it must be quite challenging.

During active addiction times, when I found myself going crazy because I was spending so much time stressing out about what others told me to do and explaining myself to them, I found that the best way for me to break the cycle was to stop trying to explain myself. Just like I wasn't going to change as a result of them repeating what poor choices I was making over and over; they weren't going to change when I explained myself over and over...They just did not hear it. So when they started, I changed the subject, or let them go on (without listening to it) and when there was a pause, said uhh-huh...then change the subject, or I would say...gotta go. It helped...I stopped getting sucked into their need to control me. They had that control problem just as bad as I did.

Wishing you a peaceful couple of days...would it help not to pick up the phone?