View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 03:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
beginner

Hey - I feel for you, because I'm in a very similar situation to you. My husband left me yesterday, and I am 21 weeks pregnant. You can imagine what's going through my mind - probably similar to what's going on in your's! His comments to me before he left (after physically hurting me I might add - because his temper is out of control as a sober/dry-drunk) were blaming me, and my reaction to that was to be filled with guilt and wondering whether if I had done something differently, then perhaps it would not have resulted in the painful circumstance we are in now.

Normally he goes off for a few days and I invite him to come back with promises that he will get help for his drinking and temper - but he never does.

I feel bad for me being left alone in the world it seems, with a baby to raise on my own. And I feel bad for my baby to be born into a world without two loving parents to tend to him. But the alternative is worse - and I think that, like me, you need to consider what your child is growing up with having your AH in her life. She is going to develop adapting behaviour to her alcoholic father by growing up in that environment that will damage her for the rest of her life emotionally and psychologically - unless he is in treatment/actively working on his recovery. Do you want that for your child? I read a statistic that said that children of alcoholics were 4x more likely to become an alcoholic themselves than those that are not.

Personally, I want to protect my son from living a world of ongoing pain and misery caused by alcoholism in the family, so it is good that my husband leaves and remains gone while he does not get treatment and does not seek help. Despite how I feel and the pain it causes me to be without him, it is better for my child. You cannot make your husband give it up, get help and be the father your child deserves - but you can decide what your child lives with.

I really do like the advice the others have given here about the way he has blamed and manipulated you. My husband's comments are so similar to your's - there is a common thread here, and their advice to you is very good.