Old 07-01-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Ago

Anonymity being the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, to me, has nothing to do with our "normal" interpretation of the word.

To me it means do good things and don't take credit for them. Don't believe my own PR. To know I am only the hose, not the water. The vehicle for the message, not the message.

To learn this, my sponsor made me do the exercise of doing a good deed every day for thirty days, and if you get caught, or tell anyone it doesn't count.

It literally changed me as much as working the steps, maybe more so in some ways, it broke my brain, it makes me understand what it means when it says anonymity is the spiritual foundation.

If you have never tried it, and would like to have a good laugh at yourself at your own expense, try it. For me it went against every single natural instinct I possessed.

Not to do good deeds, I was good at that, to not tell anyone, because all those "good deeds' I was doing were me manipulating myself and everyone around me, I was manipulating my ego, and manipulating you to get what i want.

Don't believe you are anything like that? try it yourself haha.

I think the carpenter said something like:

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

That, to me is what the foundation is, and remember, I am not a Christian nor believe in a diety per se, but that quote says everything that needs to be said.

it aint about gossiping in a meeting, or not saying who was there or who said what, if you are aligned with that, you CAN'T gossip, it just doesn't work, that would be like me taking credit for my own sobriety, or credit for the birth of a child or something.