Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Overman View Post
@ Bam
Lacking a belief has nothing to do with faith.

Sure it does. If you consciously 'lack' or deny something then you have a degree of certainty about it. This certainty is a vague form of 'faith'.
What is your definition of faith? Again, faith is belief without proof. Absence of belief is not a belief.

The way you are changing the definition to suit your argument the word "faith" essentially becomes meaningless.

Originally Posted by Overman View Post
And who says I don't have something worth believing in?

So you do have 'faith'...just not in celestial beings and invisible, imaginary friends. Thats my point; you still have faith in something...and atheism is faith in something, even if that something is nothing.

Atheism is not “faith in nothing“. Again, faith requires belief. Atheism is lack of belief…complete absence of belief.

Atheism has nothing to do with my likes and dislikes of my experiences. Atheism makes no claims. Atheism has no doctrine.

My beliefs are centered around my opinions. My experiences will not be the same as anyone else’s…so I cannot assert that my way of living is the ultimate truth or that it is right.

I know I exist…I know my opinions exist…I know the things I like/enjoy exist. What I do not know is if anything supernatural exists.