Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Dad was raised Presbyterian, mom was sorta Methodist, I guess. She went to a patchwork of churches because her dad was in the Air Force. I was raised Quaker, spent a long time trying to force myself to see God. For a while it sort of worked, and I said I was Christian. After I studied in Russia I was intensely interested in the Orthodox brand of Christianity for several years. But I didn't feel very comfortable with Christianity at any point. I quit going to church (not a popular choice in my house, it's just what we did on Sunday mornings). I took some anthropology and science classes and started to think that was much more comfortable, something I could see and agree with. I went back to school as a geology major a few years later and once I took biology and historical geology that was it. I can no longer accept that there is a god or gods. I won't say there isn't, because I don't see the evidence of that either, but the day I stopped trying to believe something I just don't was a great day in my life. I was liberated from the monumental effort to believe something I have no evidence for.