Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Skayda
Insanabile cacoethes scribendi

I learned about this program through my nurse at the clinic where I get my Suboxone. I knew that my medicaid coverage for help with chemical dependency through DSHS was going to run out soon so I talked to my nurse and she told me about the Suboxone Patient Assistance Program and that they had one slot out of the three open for the Program. So, around the end of April I got all the paperwork back to her and she said she'd get to work on it. Well, I saw her and my doctor on my appointment on the 19th and she told me she'd faxed the information and was now just awaiting a reply from the company about whether I was accepted or denied.

My nurse was very optimistic about it and told me that she'd call and let me know what the answer was as soon as she found out. While I was there I asked my doctor what he thought my chances were just to see what he would say. He told to "Not get my hopes up" too much because he tried to get this other patient on it whose DSHS medical was about to run out in a month's time, (like mine; mine'll run out on June 30th), and they denied her. He was totally making me worry and whatnot saying that the chances were very slim that I'd be accepted at all.

Well, guess what happened? A few days later; after I'd gotten home from staying the night with my sister and her family, my boyfriend goes; "Your nurse called. She wants you to call her back." As soon as I got home, feeling dread and excitement all at once because I knew exactly what the phone call was about, I called my nurse. She goes; "Hey, sweetie, guess what?" Me: "What?" "I've got good news! You've been accepted!!" Me: "Omgomgomg! Yay! Thank you sooo much!!!" I think I babbled on for a moment thanking her and the doctor and everyone there. She took it all in stride because I think she knew that my reaction wasn't at all being overly dramatic; I've had several close-calls where I didn't know how I was going to pay for my meds, or when the state was jerking me around, etc. So, she knew what a relief off my shoulders this news was.

So, now, starting on July 1st I will have a year's worth of my Suboxone for free. Which will be enough time to work on all of my problems, etc with my counselling and groups and then after about six months or so start my slow taper down to getting off of the medication altogether. I wish everyone all the best in trying to find a way to pay for this ridiculously expensive drug. My plan of attack was to try every possible angle and not give up for one second. I just kept plugging away as I knew, eventually, something would pan out; with God's help and human persistence! lol.

~Ami