View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
twopznapod

i am so sorry...i try really hard every day not to take my husband's sobriety for granted...everyday he is sober is another day i am grateful...i am so sorry you are in this position...there were many nights i considered calling the police myself just to get my husband off of the road, but the repercussions were too high (i'd end up having to pay for the dwi lawyer, take him to work, not to mention the fighting that would erupt, etc.) but there were several times i'd call one of his friends and they'd happen to "run into him" at the bar and drive him home...it was very hard for me to realize that i was only enabling his habit...and it took me a long time to realize that all the help i was trying to offer was only enabling...and also as bad as it may sound i used to volunteer to make his drinks for him, or get his beer...only i'd water it down so he wasn't drinking as much as he thought he was...(also enabling, but it made for calmer nights for me)...in trying to help my husband cope with his addiction and trying to help myself cope with his addiction i truly lost myself...my mother's words began echoing in my head, "this too shall pass...to thine own self be true." and without that echoing in my head i don't think i would have survived these past 11 years...that phrase has helped me get through so many hard times--now it is tattooed around my wrist so that no matter how blinded i may be with tribulations the words that got me through so much are staring back at me, reminding me that there is always hope...for everyone...