Old 06-25-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

I used my brain to get sober, not a program. Some others do as well. Some people need the support and structure of a program to get sober. We are as unique as our fingerprints in what we need to get and stay sober.

I realized, for me, that there was a difference between sober and recovered. Sobriety meant I no longer drank anything alcoholic. Recovery meant I was working on learning new coping skills.

My recovery includes programs like AA, and Al Anon. Self-help books, meditation, yoga, SR and excercise are also part of my recovery program.

Your AH's #of sober days does not indicate a problem or lack of problem. It is just a #. Alcoholics can pull off periods of sobriety. Normal drinkers can pull off periods of sobriety.

If he is an alcoholic or not, does not matter. If his drinking is an issue for you, then it is a problem in your relationship. You can only help yourself in coping with this issue. What are you willing to do to learn to cope with this part of your relationship? Do you need to use a program or do you need to use your brain?